To tap the huge potential of tourism, the Indian Railways announced the ‘Bharat Gaurav’ scheme, under which theme-based tourist circuit trains, on the lines of the Ramayana Express, can be run either by private or State-owned operators.
GS-II: Governance (Government Policies and Initiatives)
Dimensions of the Article:
- About the Bharat Gaurav scheme
About the Bharat Gaurav scheme
- Indian Railways will be launching a completely new segment- Bharat Gaurav trains to boost tourism across India and the Indian Railways has allocated over 180 trains identified 3033 coaches for ‘Bharat Gaurav’ trains.
- All the concerned stakeholders will modify and run the trains and help railways in maintenance, parking and other facilities.
- The main objective behind launching Bharat Gaurav trains is to boost tourism. This is the third segment of trains after passenger and freight segments.
- Bharat Gaurav trains will be run by both the private sector and IRCTC. The tour operators can decide the rates of the trains as well.
- The Bharat Gaurav trains will be theme-based to showcase the country’s culture and heritage.
- The idea of Bharat Gaurav trains originated from PM Narendra Modi who suggested theme-based trains to enable people to understand, appreciate and take forward India’s heritage.
-Source: The Hindu