The Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying will launch the Report Fish Disease (RFD) App at Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi.
GS II: Health
Dimensions of the Article:
- About the Report Fish Disease App
- About Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
About the Report Fish Disease App:
- The app aims to strengthen the farmer-based disease reporting system and improve the reporting of aquatic animal diseases in India.
- It has been developed by ICAR-NBFGR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research – National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources) under the National Surveillance Programme for Aquatic Animal Diseases (NSPAAD).
- The app is funded under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana, which is a scheme by the Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Government of India.
Benefits of the App:
- Farmers can use the app to report disease incidents in finfish, shrimps, and molluscs on their farms to field-level officers and fish health experts.
- This facilitates the farmers in receiving scientific advice for effectively managing the diseases.
- The app stores data about diseases on temporal and spatial scales, enabling the mapping of disease cases.
- It supports farmers in improving their reporting process, accessing scientific advice, and reducing losses caused by diseases, thereby contributing to increased income for farmers.
About Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) was launched in 2020 to bring about Blue Revolution through the sustainable development of the fisheries sector over a period of five years (2020-2025).
- It is an umbrella scheme to develop the fisheries sector with a total outlay of Rs. 20050 crores.
It has two components
- The Central Sector Scheme (CS) component with a non-beneficiary-oriented scheme and a Beneficiary oriented scheme (Central Assistance for General Category – 40%; SC/ST/Women – 60%).
- A Central Sponsored Scheme (CSS) component also with a non-beneficiary-oriented scheme and Beneficiary oriented scheme. The different break-ups of funding are: Central Assistance for Northeastern States – 90%, Other States – 60%; and UTs – 100%.
The areas expected to be covered by the PMMSY are:
- Fish production
- Fisheries productivity
- Quality of fisheries and aquaculture sectors
- Post-harvest infrastructure and management
- Modernization of value chain
- Welfare of the fishers and fish farmers
- Fisheries management framework
The insurance coverage provided under the PMMSY includes
- Rs.5,00,000/- against accidental death or permanent total disability,
- Rs.2,50,000/- for permanent partial disability
- Hospitalization expenses in the event of accident for a sum of Rs. 25,000/-.
The objectives of the PMMSY are:
- Develop fisheries and aquaculture sectors.
- Harness the potential of fisheries sector in a sustainable, responsible, inclusive and equitable manner
- Efficient use of land and water resources to enhance fish production and productivity.
- Modernize value chain considering post-harvest management and quality improvement.
- Double fishers and fish farmers’ incomes
- Generate employment in the fisheries sector.
- Enhance fisheries sector’s contribution to overall agricultural Gross Value Added (GVA) and exports.
- Provide social, economic and physical security to fish farmers and fishermen.
- Develop a robust fisheries management and regulatory framework.
-Source: Indian Express, PIB