Why in news?
Minister for Power and New & Renewable Energy and Minister of State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship released the ‘State Energy Efficiency Index 2019’ on 10th January 2020.
Details of State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship
- State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Index 2019’, which tracks the progress of Energy Efficiency (EE) initiatives in 36 states and union territories based on 97 significant indicators.
- The Skill Development & Entrepreneurship index was released on the occasion of RPM ( Review, Planning and Monitoring) meeting, which is being held on 09-10 Jan 2020.
- The index is developed by Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) in association with Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE).
- It will help states contribute towards national goals on energy security and climate action by:
- Helping drive EE policies and program implementation at the state and local level
- Tracking progress in managing the states’ and India’s energy footprint
- Institutionalising the data capture and monitoring of EE activities by states.
- The required data was collected from the concerned state departments such as DISCOMs, Urban Development departments and other departments with the help of State Designated Agencies (SDAs).
- A three-point agenda is
suggested for consideration by state agencies:
- Proactive role by states in policy formulation and implementation.
- Strengthening the mechanism for data capture, management and public availability of data.
- Enhancing the credibility of EE schemes.
- State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship’s EE Index 2019 shows that majority of the initiatives taken by states are related to Policies and Regulations.