Focus: GS II: Government policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Recently, the Union Minister of Power and New & Renewable Energy released the report of the State Energy Efficiency Index (SEEI) 2021-22 in New Delhi.
State Energy Efficiency Index Report:
- The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) developed SEEI in association with the Alliance for an Energy-Efficient Economy (AEEE).
- The 2021-22 SEEI has an updated framework of 50 indicators aligned with national priorities.
- Programme-specific indicators have been included this year to track outcomes and impacts of state-level energy efficiency initiatives.
- Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Rajasthan, and Telangana are in the Front Runner category (>60 points).
- Assam, Haryana, Maharashtra, and Punjab are in the Achiever category (50-60 points).
- Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Assam, and Chandigarh are the top-performing states in their respective state groups.
- Telangana and Andhra Pradesh showed the most improvement since the last index.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency:
- The BEE was established on 1st March 2002 under the provisions of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.
- Objective: To reduce the energy intensity of the Indian economy.
- It coordinates with designated consumers, designated agencies, and other organizations.
- It recognizes, identifies, and utilizes existing resources and infrastructure to perform the functions assigned to it under the Energy Conservation Act.