Why in news?
The Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) has said that before the lockdown is lifted, adequate notice should be given and an economic package announced.
Views of the CII
- The principle should be that we look at opening up in concentric circles around the red zones. The radiating heat map should turn from red in the inside to green on the outside.
- All facilities that reopen must have health, sanitation and screening systems in place to protect workers.
- They should also follow thermal check, physical distancing and factory sanitisation. Any enterprise that did not follow these norms on a self-certification basis should be penalised.
- However, prior to the lifting of the lockdown (which should be decided based on the advice of medical experts), there has to be adequate notice given to all, and along with that, there should be the announcement of an economic package.
Confederation of Indian Industries (CII)
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is an industry association in India which was founded in 1895.
- CII is a non-government, not-for-profit, industry-led and industry-managed organization.
- It has over 9,000 members, from the private as well as public sectors, including SMEs and MNCs.
- CII works with the Government on policy issues.
- CII has been a catalyst of change in India’s economic policy reforms. CII played a very important role during economic liberalisation in 1991.
- CII correlates with Government, NGOs, and civil society to help industry flourish effective programs for social development.
- The CII Publications include Reports that are widely respected.