Focus: GS II- Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Recently, Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) accomplishes its successful second anniversary.
About Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) was launched in 2020 to bring about Blue Revolution through the sustainable development of the fisheries sector over a period of five years (2020-2025).
- It is an umbrella scheme to develop the fisheries sector with a total outlay of Rs. 20050 crores.
It has two components
- The Central Sector Scheme (CS) component with a non-beneficiary-oriented scheme and a Beneficiary oriented scheme (Central Assistance for General Category – 40%; SC/ST/Women – 60%).
- A Central Sponsored Scheme (CSS) component also with a non-beneficiary-oriented scheme and Beneficiary oriented scheme. The different break-ups of funding are: Central Assistance for Northeastern States – 90%, Other States – 60%; and UTs – 100%.
The areas expected to be covered by the PMMSY are:
- Fish production
- Fisheries productivity
- Quality of fisheries and aquaculture sectors
- Post-harvest infrastructure and management
- Modernization of value chain
- Welfare of the fishers and fish farmers
- Fisheries management framework
The objectives of the PMMSY are:
- Develop fisheries and aquaculture sectors.
- Harness the potential of fisheries sector in a sustainable, responsible, inclusive and equitable manner
- Efficient use of land and water resources to enhance fish production and productivity.
- Modernize value chain considering post-harvest management and quality improvement.
- Double fishers and fish farmers’ incomes
- Generate employment in the fisheries sector.
- Enhance fisheries sector’s contribution to overall agricultural Gross Value Added (GVA) and exports.
- Provide social, economic and physical security to fish farmers and fishermen.
- Develop a robust fisheries management and regulatory framework.