Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
A multilateral exercise La Perouse is scheduled to be conducted in the Indian Ocean Region from 13 to 14 March 2023
What is Exercise La Perouse?
- Exercise La Perouse is a multilateral maritime exercise that takes place in the Indian Ocean Region, aimed at enhancing maritime domain awareness and optimising maritime coordination among participating navies in the Indo-Pacific Region. It is conducted by the French Navy and held biennially.
- The third edition of the exercise was held from 13 to 14 March 2023 and witnessed the participation of personnel, ships and integral helicopters of the Royal Australian Navy, French Navy, Indian Navy, Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Force, Royal Navy and the United States Navy.
- The exercise provides an opportunity for like-minded navies to develop closer links in planning, coordination and information sharing for seamless maritime operations.
- This year’s exercise included complex and advanced naval operations such as surface warfare, anti-air warfare, air defense exercises, cross-deck landings, and tactical maneuvers.
- The participation of the Indian Navy in the exercise showcased the high levels of synergy, coordination and interoperability between the friendly navies, and their commitment to a rules-based international order in the Indo-Pacific region.