With reference to ancient Indian History, consider the following pairs:
Literary work: Author
1. Devichandragupta: Bilhan
2. Hammira-Mahakasya: Nayachandra Suri
3. Milinda-panha: Nagarjuna
4. Nitivakyamrita: Somadeva Suri
How many of the above pairs are correctly matched
(a) Only one
(b) Only two
(c) Only three
(d) All four
Let’s analyze each pair:
- Devichandragupta: Bilhan
- This pair is correctly matched. Bilhan is the author of the literary work called “Devichandragupta.” It is a Sanskrit play that revolves around the life of Chandragupta II, a ruler of the Gupta Empire.
- Hammira-Mahakasya: Nayachandra Suri
- This pair is incorrect. Nayachandra Suri is not the author of “Hammira-Mahakasya.” The correct author of “Hammira-Mahakasya” is Nayachandra Suri’s contemporary, Nayachandra Siddhanta-chakravarti.
- Milinda-panha: Nagarjuna
- This pair is incorrect. Nagarjuna, a prominent Buddhist philosopher, is not the author of “Milinda-panha.” The actual author of this Pali Buddhist text is Nagasena.
- Nitivakyamrita: Somadeva Suri
- This pair is incorrect. “Nitivakyamrita” is not authored by Somadeva Suri. The correct author of “Nitivakyamrita” is the Jain scholar Vachaspati-Miśra.
Therefore, only one pair, “Devichandragupta: Bilhan,” is correctly matched. Hence, the answer is (b) Only two.