With reference to the history of ancient India, which of the following was/were common to both Buddhism and Jainism?
1. Avoidance of extremities of penance and enjoyment
2. Indifference to the authority of the Vedas
3. Denial of efficacy of rituals
Select the correct answer using the codes given below (2012)
a) 1 only
b) 2 and 3 only
c) 1 and 3 only
d) 1, 2 and 3
Similarities between Jainism and Buddhism
- Both religions believe in faith and Karma.
- Both of them are non-theistic religions.
- They both had a common background associated with the Aryan Culture.
- Both religions are founded by the Kshatriyas of Northern India.
- Both the religions were against Vedas and the Vedic culture as well as against Brahmanism.
- Both opposed the sacrifice of animals.
- Both the leaders in their religion preached Satya, Ahimsa, Brahmacharya, and detachment from the materialistic world.