Focus: GS-III Internal Security, GS-II Social Justice
Why in news?
Year wise induction details of women officers in the three armed forces during the past three years and current year, given in a written reply is as follows:
|Indian Air Force||59||59||51||00|
|Indian Navy||57||38||54||18 (in progress)|
% of women officers is more in Indian air force than army and navy.
- Indian Army is committed to comply to the judgement of Hon’ble Superme Court passed on 17th February, 2020 granting permanent commission to the women officers as per their qualification, professional experience, specialization, if any and organization requirement.
- The commanding posts in the Indian Air Force (IAF) are decided purely on merit basis. There is no embargo for detailment of women officers for Commanding Officers’ post in the IAF.
- Male and female officers inducted into the Navy in various Branches/Cadres/Specialisations under similar schemes are treated at par and without discrimination for posting/billeting.
- The Supreme Court had ruled on February 2020, that the Short Service Commission (SSC) women officers are eligible for the permanent commission and command posts in the Army irrespective of their years of service.
- The verdict came on a nearly 10-year-old appeal filed by the government against the 2010 decision of the Delhi High Court to grant SSC women officers permanent commission.
- The court ordered the government to implement its judgment in three months.
- The court dismissed the government’s stand that only women officers with less than 14 years of service ought to be considered for permanent commission, and those with over 20 years of service should be pensioned immediately.
- The court has done away with all discrimination on the basis of years of service for grant of PC in 10 streams of combat support arms and services, bringing them on a par with male officers.