Focus: GS III- Defence
Why in News?
Recently, the Defence Minister of India launched Y- 3023 Dunagiri, a Project 17A frigate built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders Limited (GRSE) in Kolkata.
- The fourth ship of the Project 17A Frigates is named “Dunagiri.”
- It bears the name of a mountain range in Uttarakhand.
- “Dunagiri” is the reincarnation of the former “Dunagiri,” a Leander Class ASW Frigate that served for 33 years and took part in a number of difficult operations and international training exercises.
The first three ships under Project 17A were:
- INS Nilgiri
- INS Himgiri
- INS Udaygiri
About Project 17A Frigates
- Project 17A frigates are follow-on of the P17 Frigates (Shivalik Class) with improved stealth features, advanced weapons and sensors and platform management systems.
- There will be seven frigates built under P-17 A for the Indian Navy which will be equipped with advanced stealth capability, four at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders (MDL), Mumbai and three at Garden Reach Ship Builders Limited (GRSE), Kolkata.
- The main advanced stealth features of P-17A pertain to the smaller Radar cross-section of the ship achieved through the use of a special super structure shape which reduces radar wave reflections.
- The P17A frigates incorporate new design concepts for improved survivability, sea keeping, stealth and ship manoeuvrability.
- Another important feature is regarding the ship’s low acoustic noise emanating from propellers, operating machinery like Diesel Generators etc., which helps sonars on other ships to detect its presence.
- Such stealth features play an important role in improving the ship’s survivability in any hostile environment during operations.
- The main weapon and sensor suite of P-17A ships indicated are BrahMos SSM, LRSAM (Forward & Aft configuration) with MF STAR radar, indigenous Sonar, and Triple tube Heavy Torpedo launcher.