Focus: GS-III Indian Economy
Why in news?
On the 6th Foundation Day of the Association of Renewable Energy Agencies of States (AREAS), the government has launched a website and telephone directory for AREAS.
- State Nodal Agencies (SNAs) for Renewable Energy (RE) interact and learn from each other’s experiences and also share their best practices and knowledge regarding technologies and schemes/programmes.
- The Union Minister for New & Renewable Energy (NRE) is the Patron of the Association and Secretary, MNRE is the ex-officio President of the Association. All SNAs are members of the Association.
- It got registered under Society Registration Act, 1860 on 27th August 2014.
Renewable Energy Initiatives in India
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) is the nodal Ministry of the Government of India for all matters relating to new and renewable energy.
- New and Renewable Energy sources include solar energy, geothermal energy, wind power, hydropower, biomass, etc.
- In September 2019, at the United Nations Climate Action Summit, India announced increasing the renewable energy target to 450 GW by 2030 from 175 GW by 2022.
- In its Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC), India has pledged to increase the share of non-fossil fuels-based electricity to 40% by 2030.
- The Green Energy Corridor Project aims at synchronizing electricity produced from renewable sources, such as solar and wind, with conventional power stations in the grid.
- Recently, Indian Railways has contacted solar power developers to meet the net zero carbon emission target by 2030.