Focus: GS III: Agriculture
Why in News?
Chairman of Khadi and Village Industries Commission, Government of India Manoj Kumar said that beekeeping is the medium of sweet revolution, more income can be earned by joining this work and distributed boxes to beekeepers under Honey Mission in village Devra.
- The Honey Mission was launched by KVIC in 2017 which aimed at creating employment for the Adivasis, farmers, unemployed youth, and women by roping them in beekeeping while also increasing India’s honey production.
- Western Uttar Pradesh has been chosen as one of the most favourable markets for honey production as the entire region has an abundance of flora that also includes a variety of crops.
- KVIC acts liaison as an income-generating tool for the beekeepers and beekeeping.
- KVIC ensures better food and medicine with the value of honey production and other hive products and supports cross-pollination that pays the way for agriculture crops.
- KVIC would provide loans for setting up processing units, packaging units and labelling units for honey.
- The significance of the mission lies in the fact that Production of healthy honey and wax, and bee-keeping would open many job opportunities for unemployed youths and also for aspiring young entrepreneurs.
National Bee Board (NBB)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Department of Agriculture Cooperation & Farmer’s Welfare established the National Bee Board (NBB) in the year 2000.
Though the main motto of the board is to improve pollination and crop productivity through beekeeping, it attributes the following:
- Research and Development of honey processing units
- To sketch schemes and establish training through research institutions
- Production of quality honey: The innovation of Phyto-Sanitary standards in terms of Bee-Product quality
- Migration of honeybee colonies: Enabling the longer and safe migration of honeybees
- Creating awareness and organising training: Research and training on the disease-prone and its medication.
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC)
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is a statutory body formed in 1957 by the Government of India, under ‘Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act of 1956’.
- It is an apex organisation under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, with regard to khadi and village industries within India
- Aim of KVIC is: plan, promote, facilitate, organise and assist in the establishment and development of khadi and village industries in the rural areas in coordination with other agencies engaged in rural development wherever necessary.