Focus: GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Recently, The President of India conferred the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar, 2023 to 11 children at an Award ceremony in Delhi.
About Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar
Bal Shakti Puraskar
- It is an award given by the Government of India to recognize exceptional achievements of children in various fields such as innovation, scholastic achievements, social service, arts & culture, sports, and bravery.
- Eligibility criteria: Indian citizen between the ages of 5-18 who resides in India.
- Award includes: a medal, cash prize of Rs. 1,00,000, book vouchers worth Rs.10,000, a certificate and a citation.
- The award was started in 1996 as the National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement and renamed in 2018 as Bal Shakti Puraskar.
Bal Kalyan Puraskar
- This award is given to recognize Individuals and Institutions who have made outstanding contributions towards service for children in the field of child development, child protection, and child welfare.
- Eligibility criteria for individuals: Indian citizen who is 18 years or above, who has worked for the cause of children for at least 7 years.
- Eligibility criteria for institutions: Not entirely funded by the government, working in the field of child welfare for at least 10 years and performing consistently.
- Award includes: cash prize of Rs. 1,00, 000 for individuals and Rs. 5,00, 000 for institutions.
- The award was started in 1979 as the National Child Welfare Awards and renamed in 2018 as Bal Kalyan Puraskar.