Recently, the President of India inaugurated Annual General Meeting and Biennial Conference of the Asia Pacific Forum on Human Rights in New Delhi.
GS II: International Relations
About Asia Pacific Forum
- Foundation: Established in 1996.
- Objective: Provides a unified platform for National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) across the Asia Pacific region.
- Challenges: Addresses some of the most pressing human rights issues in the Asia Pacific region.
- Membership: Consists of 17 full members and eight associate members.
- Indian Involvement: India has been a full-time member since 1996.
- Membership Criteria: Full membership requires adherence to the minimum international standards outlined in the Paris Principles. NHRIs that partially comply are granted associate membership.
- Admissions: Decisions regarding new member admissions are made by the Forum Council.
- Key Goal: Facilitates the establishment of independent NHRIs in the Asia Pacific region and provides support to its members to enhance their effectiveness.