Focus: GS II- Government policies and Interventions
Why in News?
The Government of India, in partnership with States, is implementing Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) to make provision of tap water supply to every rural household of the country, including those in Andhra Pradesh, by 2024.
About Jal Jeevan Mission:
Nodal: Ministry of Jal Shakti
- Jal Jeevan Mission, a central government initiative under the Ministry of Jal Shakti, aims to ensure access of piped water for every household in India.
- National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP) was restructured and subsumed into Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) – to provide Functional Household Tap Water (FHTC) to every rural household with service level at the rate of 55 lpcd i.e., Har Ghar Nal Se Jal (HGNSJ) by 2024.
- Supply of water to all households is a basic necessity.
- Reduction in water borne diseases which was due to due to consumption of substandard water.
- Critical situation of Decrease in ground water table.
- Water demand and supply is a miss match.
- Contamination of local ground level sources of water like, ponds lakes and wells.
- Sustaining the provision of water to all households is a challenge, not just starting it.