Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
Recently, the Central government announced a special tourist circuit named Ambedkar circuit, which encompasses five key sites associated with Dr B.R. Ambedkar.
About Ambedkar Circuit:
- The government had first proposed the Ambedkar Circuit, or Panchteerth, in 2016, but the conceptualisation of the plan could be held recently.
- The five cities in the tourist circuit as announced by the government are:
- Janma Bhoomi- Ambedkar’s birthplace in Madhya Pradesh’s Mhow.
- Shiksha Bhoomi– the place in London where he stayed while studying in the UK.
- Deeksha Bhoomi– the place in Nagpur where he embraced Buddhism.
- Mahaparinirvan Bhoomi- the place of his demise in Delhi.
- Chaitya Bhoomi– the place of his cremation is in Mumbai.
- The idea is to attract tourists beyond the Dalit community, who mostly visit these places as a pilgrimage.
- The journey will include meals, ground transportation, and entry to the site.
- The creation of special circuits allows the government to focus better on the comprehensive development of all sites related to the theme, including infrastructure, road and rail connectivity, and visitor facilities.