Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
The 2023 edition of Indian Navy’s major maritime exercise TROPEX, is currently underway in the Indian Ocean Region.
About Exercise TROPEX-23:
- TROPEX is conducted biennially and includes participation from Indian Navy units, Indian Army, Indian Air Force, and Coast Guard assets.
- The exercise is being conducted over a duration of three months, from January to March.
- To validate and refine the Navy’s Concept of Operations, including operational logistics and interoperability with other services.
- To test the combat readiness of the combined Fleets of the Indian Navy to operate in a multi-threat environment.
- All surface combatants of the Indian Navy including Destroyers, Frigates, Corvettes as well as submarines and aircraft are put through complex maritime operational deployments.
- The exercise is being conducted in different phases, both in harbour and at sea, encompassing various facets of combat operations, including live weapon firings.
- Provides an opportunity to test the combat readiness of the combined Fleets of the Indian Navy to operate in a multi-threat environment.
- Facilitates operational level interaction with the Indian Army, Indian Air Force, and the Coast Guard, which will further strengthen interoperability and joint operations in a complex environment.