Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr Mansukh Mandaviya recently reviewed the ‘Food Street Project’.
About Food Street Project:
The Food Street Project is an initiative aimed at developing 100 healthy and hygienic food-streets across India to encourage safe and healthy food practices, reduce foodborne illnesses and improve overall health outcomes.
- To operationalize the food streets, the National Health Mission will provide assistance of one crore rupees per food street.
- The financial assistance would be provided for activities such as the provision of safe drinking water, hand washing, toilet facilities, and appropriate liquid and solid waste disposal.
- The initiative will be implemented through NHM in convergence with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The Health Ministry has taken various steps to improve the hygiene and food safety standards protocols for food street hubs.
- These initiatives include training of food handlers, independent third-party audits, and certification under the Clean Street Food Hub initiative of the Eat Right India movement.