The Secretary of the Ministry of Culture recently said that the government will hand over around 1,000 monuments under the control of the Archaeological Survey of India to the private sector for their upkeep under the Monument Mitra Scheme.
GS II: Government schemes
About Monument Mitra Scheme:
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Culture in respect of the monuments under the Archaeological Survey of India.
- It applies to all centrally protected heritage properties.
- Aim: Ensuring quality & inclusive provision of amenities and facilities across heritage, natural, & tourist sites through the active participation of private and public sector organizations and individuals.
- Corporate entities will take over these monuments as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility.
- These organizations would be known as “Monument Mitras”for their collaboration initiative.
- The government has set the target to hand over 500 sites under the revamped Monument Mitra Scheme by the end of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav on 15 August 2023.
-Source: Indian Express