Focus: GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
National Youth Conclave’ is being organized by the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) Affairs on 13-14 March 2023 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
About National Youth Conclave:
- The National Youth Conclave is an event organized during India’s G20 presidency in 2023, in alignment with the Urban20 and Youth20 engagement groups.
- The event aims to bring together the youth and government leadership of the country, creating an opportunity for cross-learning and collaboration.
What is Urban 20?
- The Urban-20 (U20) is a city diplomacy initiative that was launched on December 12, 2017, at the One Planet Summit in Paris.
- The U20 provides a platform for cities from G20 countries to discuss important issues of urban development such as climate change, social inclusion, sustainable mobility, and affordable housing, and propose collective solutions.
- The U20 is convened by C40 Cities (C40) and United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) under the leadership of a Chair city, which rotates annually and is based in the G20 host country.
- The City of Ahmedabad chaired the U20 2023 Cycle, allowing it to showcase its unique urban development and climate change initiatives, as well as its rich culture and heritage to the participants.
What is Youth20 (Y20)?
- The Y20 is the official youth engagement group for the G20, which is a forum for the world’s largest and most advanced economies.
- The Y20 process brings together young leaders from around the world to discuss and debate global challenges and propose policy recommendations for G20 leaders to consider.
- The policy recommendations are compiled into a communiqué, which is publicly announced at the Y20 Summit and presented to world leaders during the official G20 summit.
- India hosted its first Y20 summit with a key focus on bringing young leaders from around the world together to discuss ideas for a better future and draft an agenda for action.
- During India’s presidency, the Y20 activities will focus on global youth leadership and partnership, with pre-summits on the five Y20 themes and various discussions and seminars at different universities across the country leading up to the final Youth-20 Summit.