The Indian Army recently launched ‘Project Naman’, which will entail establishing facilitation and grievance redressal centres for veterans and the kin of personnel who have lost their lives.
Facts for Prelims
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Project Naman
- SPARSH Portal (System for Pension-related Information & Services Handled Electronically)
About Project Naman:
- Objective: Project Naman aims to establish facilitation and grievance redressal centers to assist veterans and the families of personnel who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
- Location: The inaugural center will be set up in Delhi Cantonment.
- Services: ‘Naman’ will host a Common Service Center, providing access to various government-to-customer services. Additionally, it will support the updating of pensioner accounts on the SPARSH portal for veterans, next of kin, and dependents.
SPARSH Portal (System for Pension-related Information & Services Handled Electronically):
- Implemented by: The Ministry of Defence is responsible for implementing the SPARSH portal.
- Purpose: The portal serves the pension sanction and disbursement requirements for the Armed Forces, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Defence Civilians.
- Transparency: SPARSH offers transparency to defence pensioners by maintaining a comprehensive record of their pension accounts, encompassing all events and entitlements from the pension’s initiation to its cessation upon the last eligible beneficiary.
- Administration: The Defence Accounts Department, under the Principal Controller of Defence Accounts (Pensions), manages this system.
- Functionalities: SPARSH covers various pension-related activities, including initiation and sanction, disbursement, revision, and managing service and grievance requests.