Recently, a team of researchers from Christian Medical College in Vellore, Tamil Nadu, and PGIMER Chandigarh found that an antibiotic combo is best for severe scrub typhus.
Facts for Prelims
Dimensions of the Article:
- Scrub Typhus
- Typhus Fevers
- Scrub typhus is a serious infection caused by Orientia tsutsugamushi bacteria. It poses a significant public health risk in South and Southeast Asia.
- The infection is spread through bites from infected chiggers, which are larval mites.
- The most common symptoms of scrub typhus include fever, headache, body aches, and sometimes a rash.
- Doxycycline is the recommended antibiotic for treating scrub typhus. It is safe for people of all ages.
- Unfortunately, there is currently no vaccine available for scrub typhus.
- Typhus fevers refer to a group of diseases caused by different types of bacteria, including:
- Epidemic typhus, caused by Rickettsia prowazeki, and spread by body lice.
- Scrub typhus, caused by Orientia tsutsugamushi, and spread by chiggers.
- Murine typhus, caused by Rickettsia typhi, and spread by fleas.
-Source: The Hindu