Focus: GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
India’s premier show on Technical Textiles – ‘Technotex 2023’ will be held in Mumbai from 22nd to 24th February 2023.
About Technotex 2023:
- The event is being organized by the Ministry of Textiles in collaboration with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce Industry, under National Technical Textiles Mission (NTTM).
- Technotex 2023 offers a good opportunity for Startup Entrepreneurs who represent the fastest-growing category worldwide.
- The Government is making all efforts to promote Technical Textiles and has undertaken various initiatives in this direction, such as creation of PLI scheme, HSN Codes, National Technical Textiles Mission.
About Technical Textiles
- The Technical Textiles are defined as Textile material and products manufactured primarily for their Technical performance and functional properties rather than aesthetic and decorative characteristics.
- The Technical textiles include textiles for automotive applications, medical textiles (e.g., implants), geotextiles (reinforcement of embankments), agrotextiles (textiles for crop protection), and protective clothing (e.g., heat and radiation protection for fire fighter clothing, molten metal protection for welders, stab protection and bulletproof vests, and spacesuits).
Significance and Potential Applications of Technical Textiles
- The Technical Textiles are being used globally for last several decades. These materials have provided innovative projects.
- Even while Technical Textiles have been extensively used in developed as well as many developing countries, India has yet to capitalize the technical, economical and environmental benefits on large scale.
- The Various parts of India are subjected to floods and environmental degradation. In some of the terrains, the flood management and control can rely on Technical Textiles tubes, containers and bags.
- The Technical Textiles have been found to perform better than concrete as water protection component because of permeability, flexibility and ease of underwater placement.
About National Technical Textiles Mission
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved the establishment of a National Technical Textiles Mission to help India position itself as a “global leader“ in technical textiles.
- The Cabinet has approved a total outlay of Rs 1,480 crore for the project, which will be implemented over four years (2020-2024) and aims to promote research, export and skill development in this sector.
- An Export Promotion Council for Technical Textiles will be set up for export promotion of technical textiles and ensuring 10% average growth in exports per year upto 2023-24.
- The main aim is to get India the highest position in Technical Textiles at a global level
- This mission also aims at improving the penetration level of the technical textiles in the country. It must also be noted that the penetration level of technical textiles is low in India at 5-10%, against 30-70% in advanced countries.
- The authorities aim at increasing the global market for Indian technical textiles
- To simplify the objectives of the mission, it has been divided into four component as well
- The Mission will focus on the usage of technical textiles in various flagship missions, programmes of the country including strategic sectors