Focus: GS III- Indian Economy (Infrastructure)
Why in News?
Union Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, and Labour & Employment said that under the leadership of Prime Minister border villages will be developed comprehensively through the Vibrant Villages Programme and said that stronger border villages will lead to a stronger nation.
About Vibrant Village Programme
- The program’s goal is to enhance infrastructure in villages along India’s China border.
- In states like Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, and Arunachal Pradesh, infrastructure will be enhanced.
- Residential and tourism centres will be built as part of the programme.
- It will also facilitate the development of decentralised renewable energy sources and increase road connectivity.
- Aside from that, there will be direct access to Doordarshan and educational channels. A source of income will be offered.
- It emphasises the generation of livelihoods, road connectivity, housing, rural infrastructure, renewable energy, television, and broadband connections.
- This goal will be achieved by improving infrastructure in villages near the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
Need for such scheme:
- The programme is a rebuke to China’s model villages, but the term was picked with care to avoid causing a stir in the neighbouring country.
- In recent years, China has created new communities along the LAC, mainly across the Arunachal Pradesh border.
- Villages on the Indian side of the border have undergone unprecedented out-migration while China has been placing new citizens in border areas.