Focus: GS III- Indigenization Of Technology
Why in News?
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully carried out the maiden test flight of a new Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), an autonomous Flying Wing Technology Demonstrator, from the Aeronautical Test Range, Chitradurga, Karnataka.
About the Indigenous Drone
- A tiny turbofan engine powers the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).
- It is being developed as part of the programme for unmanned combat aerial vehicles.
- It is created and developed by Bengaluru’s Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), a top DRDO research facility.
- The Russian TRDD-50MT engine was intended for cruise missiles initially.
- To fulfil the demand, an indigenously produced tiny turbo fan engine is being created.
Significance of the development
- Operating in a fully autonomous mode, the aircraft exhibited a perfect flight, including take-off, way point navigation and a smooth touchdown.
- This flight marks a major milestone in terms of proving critical technologies towards the development of future unmanned aircraft.
- This is a significant step towards self-reliance in strategic defence technologies.