Why in news?
Foreign Minister of Denmark visited the Barapullah DESMI Project Site on 16th January 2020, to understand the challenges in the area of wastewater management and to discuss the scope of Danish technologies and collaboration with research institutions which may be engaged in this area.
- The Barapullah drain is one of the main water transport ways in New Delhi that collects water from various smaller water drains from all over the city.
- Mainly used for waste water and sewage transport
- The Barapullah drain is an excellent location for research in the area of waste water management
- DBT, Mo S&T, GoI initiated a novel holistic clean-up project in collaboration with DESMI EnviRO-CLEAN A/S, Denmark in January, 2019 at Sun Dial Park in Sarai Kale Khan area
- The aim of the project is to trap the floating debris from the drain and convert it into value added products
- With suitable gasification/ carbonisation technology to mitigate waste of mixed feedstock, collected from rivers or lakes besides reducing the damage to the local environment.