Recently, a rare dragonfly, Burmagomphus chaukulensis was spotted in Kerala.
GS II- Species in News
- This is a dragonfly of genus Burmagomphus, which is represented by three species – B. Cauvericus, B. Pyramidalis and B. Laidlawi.
- While B. laidlawi is found throughout the Western Ghats,
- B. cauvericus is more restricted in its distribution.
- B. pyramidalis is found in the Western Ghats as well as in Peninsular India.
- The Western and Eastern Himalayas are home to all other species in the genus.
- The patterns on the lateral thorax and the unusual shape of the anal appendages distinguish the new species from its congeners.
- The Western Ghats are known to be home to this species.
Source: The Hindu