Focus: GS-II International Relations
Why in news?
China convened a rare quadrilateral dialogue with the Foreign Ministers of Afghanistan, Nepal and Pakistan.
- China pledged to strengthen cooperation among the four nations in dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic as well as boosting their economic recoveries, including through regional connectivity projects.
- China outlined four proposals at the meet, including for the four countries to cooperate under China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- Extending the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) to Afghanistan, as well as taking forward an economic corridor plan with Nepal, called the Trans-Himalayan Multi-dimensional Connectivity Network was proposed.
- China also called on the countries to learn from China and Pakistan’s joint prevention and control model, and suggested the four countries could look at opening up “green channels” as soon as possible.
- China has also offered its expertise in fighting COVID-19 and said vaccines that are being developed would be shared with the three countries.
- The four countries pledged their support to the ongoing peace and reconciliation process in Afghanistan.
-Source: The Hindu