Structure of the Essay:
You can start the introduction through following ways:
- Start with a general introduction/ an anecdote/an example/a short story/a poem/a recent event or trend etc about international diplomacy.
- It is a transition statement between introduction and body of the essay.
- In thesis statement, you should write outline of the body with your own arguments. You should prove these arguments in body of the essay with relevant examples.
Body of the essay:
- Historical perspective.
- Diplomacy between states in the Ancient and Medieval world.
- Development of Nation-States and international diplomacy.
- Factors influencing international diplomacy. Examples can be quoted for every factor.
- Political Interests
- History and Culture
- Economic Interests
- Others – Oil, Regional Grouping etc.
- Balance of Power
- People to people connect
- Others – Technology, Connectivity etc
- New trends – Quote examples.
- Multi-polar World
- The dominance of Economic Interests
- The emergence of new powers – India, China, ASEAN etc.
- The emergence of regional groupings and international organisations.
- Their significance and role in International Diplomacy.
- Recent examples from India’s foreign policy – Relations with West Asia and Israel, Relations with USA and China, Handling border disputes with China and Pakistan.
- Also mention shortcomings.
- India’s core national interests:
- Peace and prosperity
- Multipolar rule-based world order
- Respect for sovereignty
- Peaceful and free trade
- India specific issues
- Changing for non-alignment to multi alignment
- Example: QUAD
- India’s role in Iran- USA
- Indo Pacific dimension changing Indian outlook.
- India’s tightrope walks about the USA and Russia.
- Mention how relations between certain countries remain sour for long. Examples can help in explaining the reasons for prolonged conflicts.
- Conclude with a futuristic view on International Diplomacy – how it will change with the rising of technology and challenges like Climate Change.