Who implements the Fortification of rice schemes?
Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Department of Food & Public Distribution
The Centrally Sponsored Pilot Scheme on “Fortification of Rice and its Distribution under Public Distribution System (PDS)” has been approved for a period of three years beginning 2019-20.
- The Pilot Scheme is funded by Government of India in the ratio of 90:10 in respect of North Eastern, Hilly and Island States and 75:25 in respect of the rest of the States.
- The Pilot Scheme focuses on 15 districts, preferably 1 district per State.
- The decentralized model of fortification by States/UTs has been approved in the Pilot Scheme with blending at the rice milling stage.
- The operational responsibilities and identification of the districts for implementation of the Pilot Scheme lie with the States/UTs.
- States/UTs have been requested to operationalize blending of fortified rice at milling stage and start its distribution through PDS as early as possible.
- So far, 15 States have consented for implementation of the Pilot Scheme.