Focus: GS III- Environment
Why in News?
Under the Namami Gange Programme, the Ministry of Jal Shakti has created the ‘Digital Dashboard for District Ganga Committees (DGCs) Performance Monitoring System’ (GDPMS).
- The purpose of the Digital Dashboard is to assist DGCs in improving people-river connections.
About District Ganga Committees
- District Ganga Committees were formed in districts in the Ganga River basin to put in place a framework at the district level to ensure people’s engagement in river Ganga and its tributaries management and pollution abatement.
- The DGCs’ responsibilities include ensuring effective use of assets developed under Namami Gange, monitoring drains/sewage flowing into the Ganga and its tributaries, and establishing a strong link between people and Ganga rejuvenation.
About Namami Gange programme
Nodal: Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- It is an Integrated Conservation Mission, approved as a ‘Flagship Programme’ by the Union Government in June 2014 to accomplish the twin objectives of effective abatement of pollution and conservation and rejuvenation of National River Ganga.
- Implemented by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), and its state counterparts—State Programme Management Groups.
Main Pillars of the Namami Gange Programme are:
- Sewerage Treatment Infrastructure
- River-Surface Cleaning
- Industrial Effluent Monitoring
- River-Front Development
- Public Awareness
- Ganga Gram