Editorials/Opinions Analysis For UPSC 24 November 2022
- GST on online gaming, casinos, racing: Issues
- Kuki-Chin Bangladeshi refugees
- The ministerial panel formed under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime for casinos, racetracks, and online gaming is likely to reiterate its earlier stance of a uniform 28 percent tax rate for the three categories.
- Currently, online gaming platforms pay 18% GST on the platform fee alone, rather than the total value including prize money; however, the GST Council will make the final decision on the valuation mechanism.
- This is because the panel members disagreed on whether it should be levied on the platform fee or the total amount paid by the participants.
GS Paper – 3 GST and taxation, IT & Computers, Cyber Security
What effect does gaming addiction have on children? Do you think China’s recent three-hour gaming ban is a good way to deal with it? (150 words)
Click Here To Read More: GST On Online Gaming, Casinos, Racing: Issues
- Over 200 members of the Kuki-Chin-Mizo community from Bangladesh’s Chittagong Hill Tracts (CHT) have arrived in Mizoram’s Lawngtlai district.
- They have entered Mizoram illegally as a result of an armed conflict between the Army of the neighbouring country and an ethnic armed group.
- The Bangladesh Rapid Action Battalion has launched an operation against some of the group’s insurgents; and
- The Ministry of Home Affairs has discussed the matter with the Ministry of External Affairs.
GS Paper 3: Internal security
Discuss India’s refugee policy. How should India respond to the Kuki-Chin crisis, in your opinion? (250 Words)
Click Here To Read More: Kuki-Chin Bangladeshi Refugees