Focus: GS-III Science and Technology
Why in news?
The Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN) is being implemented to ensure essential immunization services during the COVID pandemic.
eVIN- Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network
- eVIN is an innovative technological solution aimed at strengthening immunization supply chain systems across the country.
- It is being implemented under National Health Mission (NHM) by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- eVIN aims to provide real-time information on vaccine stocks and flows, and storage temperatures across all cold chain points in the country.
- IT been used with the requisite customization during the COVID pandemic for ensuring continuation of the essential immunization services and protecting our children and pregnant mothers against vaccine preventable diseases.
- eVIN combines state-of-the-art technology, a strong IT infrastructure and trained human resource to enable real time monitoring of stock and storage temperature of the vaccines kept in multiple locations across the country.
- It has helped create a big data architecture that generates actionable analytics encouraging data-driven decision-making and consumption based planning that helps in maintaining optimum stocks of vaccines leading to cost savings.
- While instances of stock-outs have reduced by 80%, the time taken to replenish stocks has also decreased by more than half, on an average, it has ensured that every child who reaches the immunization session site is immunized, and not turned back due to unavailability of vaccines.