To spread education and awareness among the general public about the ‘Fragile X Syndrome’, every year ‘World Fragile X Awareness Day’ is observed on July 22 across the globe.
GS III: Science and Technology
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Fragile X Syndrome
- What are the causes?
Fragile X Syndrome:
- Inherited genetic disease causing intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Also known as Martin-Bell syndrome.
- Most common hereditary cause of mental disability in boys (1 in 4,000 boys) and less common in girls (1 in 8,000).
- Boys typically have more severe symptoms than girls.
- Results in a range of developmental and learning problems.
- Chronic or lifelong condition, and only some individuals can live independently.
- If inherited from the father, it affects only daughters; if from the mother, it can affect both genders.
- Caused by a defect in the FMR1 gene on the X chromosome.
- The mutation prevents proper production of the fragile X mental retardation 1 protein, which functions in the nervous system.
- No cure, but treatment focuses on developing language and social skills for individuals with the condition.
-Source: The Hindu