Focus: GS-II Social Justice
Why in news?
Ministry of Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) approved a programme for the benefit of artisans involved in manufacturing of Agarbatti and to develop village industry under ‘Gramodyog Vikas Yojana’.
Agarbatti and Gramodyog Vikas Yojana
- The programme aims to enhance the production of ‘Agarbatti’ in the country and create sustainable employment for the traditional Artisans, by providing them regular employment and increase in their wages.
- As per the programme, initially four Pilot Projects will be started, including one in North Eastern part of the country.
- Each targeted cluster of artisans will be supported with about 50 Automatic Agarbatti making machines and 10 Mixing machines.
- Accordingly, a total of 200 Automatic Agarbatti making machines and 40 Mixing machines will be provided to the artisans.
- Automatic Agarbatti making machines and Mixing machines will be provided to the artisans.
- ‘Gramodyog Vikas Yojana’ will give a boost to the domestic Agarbatti Industry in the country and will reduce imports of Agarbatti.
Role of KVIC
- Under this Mission, Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), one of the statutory organizations, working under the M/o MSME,will provide training.
- KVIC will assist artisans working in this area, with Agarbatti manufacturing machines.
- KVIC will tie up with Khadi institutions / Agarbatti manufacturers in the country, having good track record, to provide work and raw material to ‘Agarbatti making artisans’.