The 15th edition of the biennial trilateral coast guard exercise ‘Dosti’ involving India, the Maldives and Sri Lanka is underway in the Maldives.
Prelims, GS-II: International Relations (India’s Neighbors), GS-III: Internal Security Challenges
Dimensions of the Article:
- About the Exercise ‘Dosti’
About the Exercise ‘Dosti’
- The exercise was first initiated in 1991, between the Indian and Maldives Coast Guard. Sri Lanka joined the exercise for the first time in 2012. The year 2021 marks 30 years since these exercises were first launched.
- The aim of the exercise is to further fortify the friendship, enhance mutual operational capability, and exercise interoperability and to build cooperation between the Coast Guards of Maldives, India and Sri Lanka.
- The Exercises carried out over the past ten years have focused on exercises and drills on providing assistance in sea accidents, eliminating sea pollution, and the Coast Guard’s procedure and conduct during situations such as oil spills.
- Indian Coast Guard vessels Vajra and Apoorva have been deployed for the exercise (2021).
-Source: The Hindu