Focus: GS-II International Relations
Why in news?
Indian and Nepalese diplomats met in Kathmandu and reviewed the status of a number of ongoing bilateral projects.
Details and Highlights
- This is the first diplomat-level meeting between the two sides in 2020 that saw the Kalapani territorial dispute.
- The talks marked the Eighth Meeting of Nepal-India Oversight Mechanism.
- The meeting did not take up the territorial dispute but the officials reviewed the status of construction of bridges over the Mahakali river, which is near the disputed region.
- The two sides discussed cross-border railways, Arun-III hydropower project, petroleum products, pipelines, Pancheshwar multipurpose project, post-earthquake reconstruction, irrigation, power and transmission lines, construction of Nepal Police Academy and Ramayana projects among other items.
- Nepal has urged India to convene a Foreign Secretary-level dialogue to discuss the territorial disputes of Susta and Kalapani but New Delhi has not yet agreed on a possible date.
- India has committed to rebuild 50,000 houses damaged by the devastating earthquake of April 2015.
- Nepal also appreciated the Covid-19-related assistance from India, including the supply of medicines and medical equipment.
-Source: Hindustan Times, The Hindu