Focus: GS-III Science and Technology, Industry and Infrastructure
Why in news?
India ranks among the lowest in the world in terms of Internet quality, according to the “Digital Quality of Life Index 2020” global research released by SurfShark.
- “Digital Quality of Life Index 2020”, researches on the quality of a digital wellbeing in 85 countries (81% of the global population), in terms of e-infrastructure.
- India ranks 79th out of 85, ranking below countries including Guatemala and Sri Lanka.
- India makes it into the top 10 in terms of Internet affordability.
- When it comes to e-government, India occupies the 15th place globally, just below countries like New Zealand and Italy.
- Even though India ranks higher is Affordability, it figures in the bottom of the rankings for Internet Quality because of: unstable and slow mobile Internet, hence, dragging it down in the overall Internet quality index
- This year’s Digital Quality of Life Index found that seven of the 10 countries with the highest digital quality of life are in Europe, with Denmark leading among 85 countries.
-Source: The Hindu