Focus: GS-II International Relations
Why in news?
India will hand over 10 railway locomotives to Bangladesh reflecting a renewed focus on the “neighbourhood first” policy to bolster economic ties and connectivity within the region amid the border standoff with China.
- The handover of the broad-gauge diesel locomotives, part of grant assistance from the Indian side, is in line with a commitment by India.
- India-Bangladesh railway cooperation is a vital element of efforts to promote trade and connectivity.
- Both sides are working to enhance rail connectivity by developing new projects and restoring old links.
- Currently, the four operational rail links between the two sides, all of which originate in West Bengal, are Petrapole-Benapole, Gede-Darshana, Singhabad-Rohanpur, and Radhikapur–Birol.
- Seventeen railway projects with a commitment of about $2.5 billion were included in assistance extended by India to Bangladesh.
- The attention given to ties with Bangladesh can be a part of efforts to overcome the impact of the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) on bilateral relations.
-Source: Hindustan Times