Focus: GS-II International Relations
Why in news?
Indian External Affairs Minister and Chinese Foreign Minister held their first face-to-face meeting in Moscow to discuss the long standoff at the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh, which has seen violent clashes and even gunfire for the first time since 1975.
- The meeting took place after the completion of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Council’s Foreign Minister’s meeting as well as a Russia-India-China trilateral meeting that both Ministers attended.
- Both India and China are in regular touch through diplomatic and military channels to resolve the situation, and this was the consensus when the two Defence Ministers met.
- China has amassed more troops and occupied ridges in the Finger area of Pangong Tso although Indian troops are holding on to dominant positions on the South Bank.
- Earlier the two ministers had taken part in an extended lunch with Russian Foreign Minister as part of the Russia-India-China trilateral.
- Russia has consistently encouraged dialogue between Delhi and Beijing, particularly at the tensest moments of the crisis.
-Source: The Hindu