Focus: GS II: International Relations
Why in News?
Recently, the fourth edition of Indo Pacific Regional Dialogue concluded in Delhi.
Theme: Operationalising the Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative
About Indo Pacific Regional Dialogue (IPRD)
- IPRD is an apex level international annual conference of the Indian Navy.
- In 2018, the initial conception of an IPRD was made.
- With the exception of 2020, when it had to be postponed owing to the Covid-19, the event has been hosted annually since its initial year in 2018.
- The National Maritime Foundation (NMF) is the Navy’s knowledge partner and chief organizer of each edition of the event.
- The IPRD reviews the current geopolitics in the Indo-Pacific region and identifies opportunities, dangers, and problems that might be present.
- IPRD remains crucial to its interests because one of the main goals of the NMF is to conduct analyses of international relations and geopolitical factors that are important to India strategically,
About Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative (IPOI)
- It was articulated by the Indian Prime Minister at the 14th East Asia Summit (EAS) in 2019.
- It is a comprehensive and inclusive construct for regional cooperation that is focused on seven interconnected spokes or pillars:
- Maritime Security
- Maritime Ecology
- Maritime Resources
- Disaster Risk-reduction and Management
- Trade-Connectivity and Maritime Transport
- Capacity-building and Resource sharing
- Science, Technology and Academic Cooperation