Recently, the Maharashtra government has developed a Migration Tracking System (MTS) application to map the movement of migrant workers to maintain the continuity of the Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) like nutrition supply, immunisation and health check-up etc.
GS II- Government policies and Interventions
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Migration Tracking System
- Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)
- Objectives of ICDS
- Six Schemes under Umbrella ICDS
About Migration Tracking System
- MTS is a web-based application that uses individual unique identifying numbers to track the movement of vulnerable seasonal migrant workers.
- Migrant beneficiaries, including children under the age of 18, lactating mothers, and pregnant women who have registered with anganwadi centres, will be tracked to ensure that the ICDS is portable for their families in their destination districts within or outside the state until they return to their home.
Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)
- Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS), a Centrally-Sponsored scheme, is an Indian government welfare programme that provides food, preschool education, and primary healthcare to children under 6 years of age and their mothers.
- The scheme was started in 1975 and aims at the holistic development of children and empowerment of mother.
- The scheme primarily runs through the Anganwadi centers and the scheme is under the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
Objectives of ICDS are:
- To improve the nutritional and health status of children in the age-group 0-6 years;
- To lay the foundation for proper psychological, physical and social development of the child;
- To reduce the incidence of mortality, morbidity, malnutrition and school dropout;
- To achieve effective co-ordination of policy and implementation amongst the various departments to promote child development; and
- To enhance the capability of the mother to look after the normal health and nutritional needs of the child through proper nutrition and health education.
- Services Provided by the ICDS are:
- Supplementary Nutrition (SNP)
- Health & Nutrition Check-Up
- Non-Formal Education for Children in Pre-School
- Health and Nutrition Education
- Referral services
Six Schemes under Umbrella ICDS:
Anganwadi Services Scheme: A unique programme for early childhood care and development which benefits children in the age group of 0-6 years, pregnant women and lactating mothers.
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana: Provides cash incentive amounting to Rs.5,000/- in three installments directly to the Bank/Post Office Account of Pregnant Women and Lactating Mother (PW&LM) in DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) Mode during pregnancy and lactation in response to individual fulfilling specific conditions.
National Creche Scheme: Provides day care facilities to children of age group of 6 months to 6 years of working women for seven and half hours a day for 26 days in a month.
Scheme for Adolescent Girls: Aims to empower and improve the social status of out of school girls in the age group 11-14 through nutrition, life skills and home skills.
Child Protection Scheme: Aims to contribute to the improvement and well-being of children in difficult circumstances, as well as, reduction of vulnerabilities to situations and actions that lead to abuse, neglect, exploitation, abandonment and separation of children from parents.
POSHAN Abhiyaan: Targets to reduce the level of stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight babies by reducing mal-nutrition/undernutrition, anemia among young children as also, focus on adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers.
-Source: Indian Express