Focus: GS-II International Relations
Why in News?
- The International Nurses Day 2022 marks the 202nd anniversary of the birth of Florence Nightingale.
International Nurses Day
- International Nurses Day is a celebration on the 12th of May every year to commemorate the anniversary of Florence Nightingale.
- Florence Nightingale is considered to be the founder of modern nursing.
- 2022 Theme: “Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Invest in Nursing and Respect Rights to Secure Global Health,”
Significance of the day
- Nurses account for more than half of all the world’s health workers. It will encourage the entire nurse community and the public to celebrate the day as well as would provide necessary information and resources to raise the profile of the nursing profession.
- The COVID-19 pandemic is a stark reminder of the vital role nurses play. Without nurses and other health workers, it is not possible to win the battle against outbreaks
- Florence Nightingale was a British social reformer, statistician, and the founder of modern nursing.
- She is famously known as “The Lady with the Lamp” making rounds of wounded soldiers at night.
- Nightingale came to prominence while serving as a manager and trainer of nurses during the Crimean War.
- Much of her published work was concerned with spreading medical knowledge.