Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
The sixth edition of Japan India Maritime Exercise 2022 (JIMEX 22) hosted by Indian Navy commenced in the Bay of Bengal on 11 Sep 22.
About Jimex 2022:
- The Indian Navy is being represented by three indigenously designed and built warships; Sahyadri, a multi-purpose stealth frigate and Anti-Submarine Warfare Corvettes Kadmatt and Kavaratti.
- JIMEX 22 involves two Phases;
- Exercises at sea
- Harbour phase at Visakhapatnam.
- This edition marks the 10th anniversary of JIMEX, which began in Japan in 2012.
- It also coincides with the 70th anniversary of establishing of diplomatic relations between India and Japan. JIMEX 22 seeks to consolidate the high degree of interoperability that exists between maritime forces of the two countries, through complex exercises in the surface, sub-surface and air domains.