Karnataka has emerged as the most innovative state in India according to the National Manufacturing Innovation Survey (NMIS) 2021-22,
GS III: Indian Economy, Facts for Prelims
About National Manufacturing Innovation Survey
- The National Manufacturing Innovation Survey (NMIS) 2021-22 conducted jointly by the Department of Science and Technology and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization found that Karnataka is the most innovative state in India.
- Telangana, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu had the highest share of innovative firms, while Odisha, Bihar, and Jharkhand had the lowest share.
- The survey examined the innovation processes, outcomes, and barriers in manufacturing firms, and also studied the innovation ecosystem that affects innovation outcomes in these firms.
- Nearly three-fourths of the firms surveyed did not make any innovative product or business process innovation during the survey period of financial year 2017-2020.
- The most frequent barriers to innovation were a lack of internal funds, high innovation costs, and a lack of financing from external sources.
-Source: The Hindu