Why in news?
The Model Building Bye Laws, 2016, has been issued for guidance of the States/UTs which has a chapter on ‘Rainwater Harvesting’.
- 33 States/UTs have adopted the rainwater harvesting provisions. The provisions of this chapter are applicable to all the buildings.
- The implementation of the rainwater harvesting policy comes within the purview of the State Government/Urban Local Body / Urban Development Authority.
- As per Model Building Bye Laws- 2016, provision of rainwater harvesting is applicable to all residential plots above 100 sq.m.
- In order to regulate the Over-exploitation and consequent depletion of ground water, the Ministry has circulated a Model Bill to all the States/UTs to enable them to enact suitable ground water legislation for regulation of its development, which includes provision of rain water harvesting.
- Central Ground Water Authority (CGWA) has been constituted under the ‘Environment (Protection) Act, 1986’ for the purpose of regulation and control of ground water development and management in the Country.
- CGWA is regulating ground water withdrawal by industries / infrastructure/ mining projects in the country for which guidelines/ criteria have been framed which includes rainwater harvesting as one of the provisions while issuing No Objection Certificate.
Water being a State subject, initiatives on water management including conservation and water harvesting in the Country is primarily States’ responsibility.
However, the important measures have been taken by the Central Government for conservation, management of ground water and effective implementation of rain water harvesting in the country.