After Prayers held at the ruins of the eighth-century Martand Sun Temple in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag is deemed to be a violation of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) rules.
GS I- History, Facts for Prelims
About Martand Sun Temple
- The Martand Sun Temple is a Hindu temple in the Kashmir Valley, near the city of Anantnag.
- It was dedicated to Surya, the primary solar deity, and dated from the eighth century AD.
- Sikandar Shah Miri demolished the temple in an attempt to convert and execute Hindus throughout the valley.
- According to Kalhana, Lalitaditya Muktapida commissioned the Temple in the eighth century AD.
- The temple is situated on a plateau with a panoramic view of the Kashmir Valley.
- The visible architecture in the remains appears to be a mix of Gandharan, Gupta, and Chinese architectural styles.
-Source: Indian Express