Why in news?
- The spate of incidents of lynching over the past few years has led to a heightened sense of insecurity among the marginalized communities.
- No data has been compiled by the NCRB of the number of cases of lynching in the country since 2015 for reasons unknown.
SC on mob lynching
- In 2018, the Supreme Court described lynching as a “horrendous act of mobocracy”.
- The Court directed the Centre and State governments to frame laws specifically to deal with the crime of lynching and laid down certain guidelines to be incorporated in these laws
- In this backdrop, the Manipur government came up first with its Bill against lynching in 2018, incorporating some logical and relevant clauses.
- The Bill specified that there would be nodal officers in each district to control such crimes
- The Rajasthan government passed a bill against lynching in August 2019 which reported highest number of mob lynching cases since 2014