Focus: GS III- Agriculture
Why in News?
National Fisheries Development Board awarded “India Agribusiness Awards 2022”
About National Fisheries Development Board
- The National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) was established in 2006.
- It is an autonomous organization under the administrative control of the Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Government of India to enhance fish production and productivity in the country and to coordinate fishery development in an integrated and holistic manner.
Mission: Holistic development of the fisheries sector through enhancement of fish production and productivity; to supplement nutritious protein for the growing population; to accelerate the overall economy of the country, besides improving health, economy, exports, employment and tourism in the country.
- To bring activities relating to fisheries and aquaculture for focused attention and professional management.
- To coordinate activities pertaining to fisheries undertaken by different Ministries/Departments in the Central Government and also coordinate with the State/Union Territory Governments.
- To improve production, processing, storage, transport and marketing of the products of capture and culture fisheries.
- To achieve sustainable management and conservation of natural aquatic resources including the fish stocks.
- To Apply modern tools of research and development including biotechnology for optimizing production and productivity from fisheries.
- To provide modern infrastructure mechanisms for fisheries and ensure their effective management and optimum utilization.
- To generate substantial employment.
- To train and empower women in the fisheries sector.
- To enhance contribute of fish towards food and nutritional security.